What is Sydolil medication used for?
Sydolil is a combined antimigraine drug. This medicine consists of three substances: acetylsalicylic acid, caffeine, and ergotamine.
Ergotamine causes a vasoconstrictor effect. Caffeine accelerates the absorption of ergotamine and enhances the effect of ergot alkaloids in treating migraine. Caffeine also causes stimulation of the CNS, mainly the cortex, respiratory and vasomotor centers. It increases mental and physical performance and reduces sleepiness and fatigue.
Caffeine has a pronounced cardiotonic effect: it increases strength and heart rate and raises blood pressure in hypotension.
Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) has analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and anti-fever effects.
Sydolil: ¿Para qué sirve
Sydolil is prescribed for the following conditions:
- Acute migraine attacks (also those accompanied by aura);
- Migraine-like headaches of vascular genesis;
- Arterial hypotension;
- As an agent that lowers intracranial pressure in case of vascular, traumatic, and infectious CNS lesions.
It is recommended to take the drug at the beginning of an attack. Before using, consult a physician and tell him about the accompanying chronic diseases and the intake of other drugs.
Dosage and administration
Orally, 1-2 tablets 2 times a day during a headache attack, then 1 tablet 2-3 times a day for several days (up to 1 month). The maximum single dose is 2 tablets, the daily dose is 4 tablets.
It is not recommended to use Sydolil (Mexico) for a long time (to avoid ergotism). After 7 days of use, in cases requiring longer treatment, take a break (3-4 days).
Consult your doctor before use because Sydolil medication has various contraindications:
- Hypersensitivity to the components of the drug
- Adenoma of prostate gland
- Peptic ulcer
- Mechanical stenosis of the gastrointestinal tract
- Severe cerebral sclerosis
- Vascular stenosis
- Angina pectoris
- Coronary heart disease
- Arterial hypertension
- Peripheral circulatory disorders
- Temporal arthritis
- Hyperexcitable state
- Sleep disturbance
- Narrow-angle glaucoma
- Genetically determined glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency (manifested as hemolytic anemia)
- Acute hepatic porphyria
- Renal and hepatic diseases
- Nutritional deficiencies or disorders
- Hemiplegic or basilar migraines
- Age over 65 years of age
Driving vehicles and operating moving mechanisms are not recommended during treatment.
Sydolil: side effects
Despite the effectiveness of Sydolil tablet 400 mg, adverse reactions are possible:
- CNS side: sleep disorders, increased excitability; with prolonged use, the development of habituation is possible.
- Cardiovascular system: transient tachycardia, ECG changes, increased BP, heart pain, bradycardia, muscle pain, decreased pulsation in extremities, paresthesias in extremities (most of these effects are associated with increased peripheral vascular tone).
- Digestive system: nausea, vomiting; rarely diarrhea.
If the first signs of such effects appear or if pregnancy is suspected, it is necessary to consult a physician immediately. There is no data on possible addiction to the drug.
Peculiarities of use
Do not use the drug to prevent a migraine attack.
Patients taking Sydolil medication should periodically monitor blood values. When taking it systematically, the prescribed doses should be strictly adhered to avoid the development of ergotism phenomena: spasm of peripheral blood vessels. Ergotism is manifested by decreased sensitivity and paresthesias in the lower extremities, a feeling of “tingling” and numbness, cyanosis of the skin, most often in the fingers, weakened pulsation, as well as CNS disturbances – spasms, cramps, headaches, and dizziness.
Sometimes patients complain of pain in the heart, and disturbance of the normal heart rhythm. If such symptoms occur, stop taking the drug immediately and consult a doctor.
Sydolil should be taken at the beginning of a migraine attack. It is recommended to take 1-2 Sydolil tablets 400 mg. If the condition does not improve after 30 minutes, you can take 1-2 more tablets.
The maximum daily dose is not more than 4 tablets, and the maximum dose during one week is not more than 10 tablets.
It is not recommended to use the drug for a long time. If long-term treatment is necessary, take a break for 3-4 days after 7 days.
The drug is not intended for migraine prophylaxis. Patients with bronchial asthma, chronic respiratory diseases, or allergic rhinitis, as well as those who have any manifestations of hypersensitivity reactions.